Wednesday 2 October 2013


Politicians with Imagination

Ever since I moved to Alberta in 2000, I have voted strategically.  My heart was not in my vote; I only hoped that my vote might help prevent Parties who believe that queer people will (and should) burn in hell or that Jesus rode a dinosaur or that all kids in Alberta should say the Lord’s Prayer before school begins would not get into power.  I hoped, with my single vote, that I might try to prevent the incrimination of people who think or believe or live differently than the majority.

Now is probably a good time to say that I do not speak on behalf of my employer.  After the way the Redford government has bullied teachers, doctors, and post-secondary institutions, the only thing I know come next election is that I will no longer be voting strategically.  I don’t really know what party or leader I will vote for, and, to be honest, since I live in a rural community, my voice will likely be lost.

I do not endorse any Party; I do not endorse any leader of any Party.  I can tell you that I refuse to vote for the Conservatives.  The Redford government has lied to everyone.  My days of strategic voting are over.  Perhaps for the first time since I moved to Alberta, I do not know who I will vote for in the next election.  At least I will not feel the need to shower after I cast my ballot.

The Wild Rose Party frightens me because of their social conservatism.  Is there a way that the Wild Rose Party could tone down the religion and the nut-baggery to make them a viable contender for leadership?  Is there a way that they could convince me to vote for them? I doubt it.  Will they get the next minority leadership? I expect so.

But tonight I read a blog post by a leader of a small Party, with no MLAs, with little funding, and with a huge vision.  Is this vision possible? I doubt it.  Are their goals attainable?  I don’t think so.  But the Wild Rose Party came out of nowhere and made huge strides in Alberta politics.  Perhaps the Alberta Party could do that, as well.  I do hope, though, that the Alberta Party’s claim that they are “socially moderate” actually means “socially progressive.”

I am writing this post because I have encountered a politician who has a vision--it’s a big, stupid, unattainable vision.  But Mr. Greg Clark is sticking with that position.  Mr. Clark and the entire Alberta Party are dreamers.  They imagine things; they imagine big things.  I could be happy, even delighted, in the Alberta Mr. Clark has imagined in his most recent post.

Once again, this is not an endorsement.  But, really, here is a political leader who engages in historical revision to imagine an Alberta that his Party would create, if they had rule for only ten years, as opposed to the forty-two year rule the Conservatives have had.

I am not endorsing the Alberta Party; I am not endorsing Mr. Clark, but here is someone who not only knows history, who not only knows politics, but someone who posts a fictional, imaginative blog post and effectively writes a piece of speculative fiction to make a point, to make a statement about his Party.  As an instructor of English, I must say that that’s pretty cool.  And here is his post: 


If only....

No comments:

Post a Comment