Wednesday 30 October 2013


Twitter and Alberta Postsecondary Education



Recent exchanges on Twitter regarding the cuts to Postsecondary education have, in my opinion, taken a turn for the nasty.  Now, I will first say that I find Mr. Lukaszuk to be smug, arrogant, and dismissive of his critics who are passionate about defending postsecondary education.  I have found him to be very unprofessional at times.  He has suggested that people have nothing to contribute; he retweets pictures of his critics.  It was this last exercise that led me to call Mr. Lukaszuk an arse.  That was unprofessional of me, but it was in response to an unprofessional tweet from the Monster of Advanced Education.  Yes, it was an ad hominem attack.  No, I am not proud.  Yes, I would do it again.

However, recently, Mr. Lukaszuk’s family has been dragged into the mess his government created.  One tweet I read mentioned Mr. Lukaszuk’s daughter.  I asked the tweeter if s/he would consider deleting it, since I would certainly not want my children mentioned in these Twitter discussions.

Yesterday and today have dragged Mr. Lukaszuk’s wife into the discussion, as well.  Although I have been no angel tweeting to and about Mr. Lukaszuk, I would ask that all who are discussing #abpse to put the blame on and direct tweets at those responsible for, and not those associated with those responsible for, these devastating cuts.  I know that we are angry; I know that we are enraged, but direct the anger at Mr. Lukaszuk and the lying con artists that are the Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta.

#Abpse folks:  we are better than this.  Let’s move on and in future refrain from dragging any family into these discussions.  Let's keep our focus and fight the cuts and not the families of politicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment